We love to share Lynton Downs’ very special beauty and surroundings with others and provide experiences for all ages and stages.
- Walks :Three walks: Wool shed, Max’s and Timber and Tussock all offer different sights and moments of wonder.
- Bird watching: Opportunities for keen watchers and photographers to see a wide range of New Zealand native birds.
- Visit the farm animals: Collect an egg and feed the Kune Kune pigs Wilbur and Lola, meet the horses and give them an apple or two. Watch out for cheeky Gruff the goat and the two resident farm cats Tom and Monty.
- Horse rides can be organised with a local trekking company Kowhai Gorge Horse Treks just down the road.
- Watch the farm dogs working the sheep or out and about in the paddocks there are always things to see .
- * Please note there are times due to Health and Safety reasons we cannot have guests accompany us on the farm and weekends tend to move at a quieter pace in order to allow the farmer to spend time with his family.
For seasonal farm experiences keep in mind lambing and feeding the pet lambs September/October, tailing October/November, shearing the sheep January and June.
One of our goals here on the farm is to preserve and protect the natural environment for the enjoyment of many generations to come. Some large areas, mainly in the high country, are noted for their rare and indigenous fauna. We work with organisations such as Doc and Environment Canterbury to ensure areas of significance are protected. We have recently been working on a project to preserve our waterways with the support from a grant from ECAN and Kaikoura District Council. Sites have been fenced off for stock and planted in natives with the existing natives also able to regenerate.
Visitors often do not realise just how much Kaikoura has to offer and for that reason, we thoroughly recommend a minimum stay of two nights and two full days with many people wanting to go out and enjoy the excellent marine experiences.
Please bear in mind that weather/ocean conditions can often change quickly and trips can be cancelled at short notice, so it is great to have an extra day to ensure you see and do all you want to experience. We also recommend advance bookings for many of the popular tours over the summer months.
- Head down to Kaikoura to watch whales, swim with dolphins and seals, visit baby seals, go on an arts trail, take fishing charter or a kayaking trip and much more.
- Experience a Maori Tour, go surfing with Board Silly or Head out on an Albatross Encounter. Kaikoura has an incredible diversity of marine life and ocean going birds to spot.Visit the Lavender Farm or head along and walk the Peninsula walking track.
- Mt Lyford Ski Field is only 30 minutes away, and Hanmer Springs Thermal Resort and Spa is an easy day trip to enjoy close by.